Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Editorial Game.

This is something vastly different from anything I've ever done on the blog or probably ever will do, but I put a lot of work into it, so I'm going to post it here anyway.

You were just asked by V magazine to guest style an editorial based on your favorite film.

CHOOSE EVERYTHING, INCLUDING CHOICE OF MODELS, MAKE UP AND HAIR, CLOTHES, SETTING, PHOTOGRAPHER, ETC.

All based on a scene from your favorite movie.


Originally I was going to do Clueless, but that's such a style icon already and what fun is that?

So I decided to go with the cake scene from Matilda.

......Here's The Trunchbull and Bruce Bogtrotter:

For Agatha Trunchbull I chose Rianne ten Haken and gave her a military-inspired look with matte red lips (the standard bluish-hued MAC Russian Red) and polished cat-eye liner (Dior Style Liner in Noir Black). PS--I LOVE THIS BALMAIN COAT. I didn't include the riding crop, but obviously it would make an apperance haha. Hair pulled back in a sleek bun.

For Bruce Bogtrotter I chose Simon Nessman and kind of went with a similar look, just a bit more updated. I didn't show any makeup, but aside from normal face makeup I wouldn't add much more than a soft wash on the lips and cheeks with TheBalm's Staniac in Beauty Queen. I'd keep Nessman's lovely curls in tact (the reason why I chose him in the first place) and maybe just put a bit of smoothing balm?

Even though you only see Matilda and Lavender for a split second, I still wanted to re-style them so I did:

For Lavender I chose Sessilee Lopez. I really love the floral dress Lavender wears so I went with a similar theme, again just updated with some Lanvin boots and gold lame leggings. I also really like the new Bobbi Brown Denim & Rose collection and thought that would be a perfect palette to compliment the oh-so-90s grunge floral dress look. For lips, stain YSL Rouge Volupte in Provocative Pink and layer with clear MAC Lipglass. For hair, something like this.

For Matilda I chose Agyness Deyn. Matilda actually wears a blue dress with peter pan collar shirt underneath, but I prefer her with overalls. Haha. Paired with yellow chuck taylors and of course, the signature hair ribbon (re-done this time by Tarina Tarantino). The hair would be like this only brown. Agyness Deyn with long, brown hair? Why yes, I did. The makeup again is simplistic because they're emulating little girls. I went for the nudes in Diors's 5-color palette in No. 030 Diaphane/Nude and Benefit's Silky Finish lipstick in Ms. Behavin (which is the same shade Edward Cullen dons in the Twilight series).

Instead of indoors onstage, I thought it would be cool to do an outdoors amphitheater similar to this one.

To shoot, I'd get Anne Geddes. I love her work and she always manages to bring out the best in her subject matter. HAHAHA. Okay, jk.

I like the edgy look that Taki Bibelas is really good at portraying and he's already worked with at least Simon Nessman.

See his portfolio here.

No comments:

Post a Comment